Legal Cannabis Products in Breast Cancer Management
In recent years, there has been growing interest in the potential benefits of legal cannabis for breast cancer patients. Products such as CBD (cannabidiol) and THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), in managing the side effects of breast cancer and its treatments.
While conventional treatments like chemotherapy and radiation are crucial, many women are turning to cannabis to help manage the symptoms and side effects associated with their condition. Some studies suggest that these products may help alleviate symptoms like pain, nausea, anxiety, and insomnia commonly experienced during chemotherapy and radiation.
Cannabis for Breast Cancer Patients
Breast cancer is a critical health concern affecting women globally. It is a malignant growth that begins in the breast tissue. It is the most common cancer among women worldwide, with varying types and stages. Early detection and prompt treatment are vital for improving survival rates and enhancing quality of life for affected individuals.
Breast Cancer Awareness Month
October is recognized globally as Breast Cancer Awareness Month, a campaign designed to educate, support, and advocate for breast cancer awareness, early detection, treatment, and research. This initiative encourages regular screenings, mammograms, self-examinations, and access to comprehensive information about breast health.
Following is a brief overview of some cannabis products and how they may benefit women undergoing breast cancer treatment.
CBD oil is derived from the cannabis plant and is non-psychoactive, meaning it doesn’t produce a “high.” It’s available in various concentrations and forms such as oil, capsules, or tinctures.
Benefits: CBD may help alleviate pain, reduce inflammation, and ease anxiety and stress, which can be especially beneficial for managing pain and anxiety associated with breast cancer and its treatments.
How to Use: CBD oil can be taken orally by placing a few drops of tincture under the tongue or added to food or beverages. Dosage and frequency vary based on individual needs and the product’s concentration.
One of the best CBD tinctures is Mary’s Medicinals The Remedy CBD.
These products combine THC and CBD in various ratios. THC is psychoactive and can produce a “high,” but when combined with CBD, it can offer a balanced therapeutic effect.
Benefits: THC/CBD blends can help manage pain, nausea, and improve appetite, which can be beneficial for individuals going through chemotherapy or dealing with the side effects of cancer treatments.
How to Use: Consumption methods include smoking, vaping, or edibles. Dosage and ratio of THC to CBD should be adjusted based on individual tolerance and desired effects.
Mary’s Medicinals also carries The Remedy THC/CBD ratio.
To help with sleep, a combination of THC, CBD and CBN is very effective, such as found in Camino Midnight Blueberry gummies.
Higher THC Potency – Vaping and Flower Products
As symptoms intensify, THC is the main cannabinoid that is effective for many breast cancer symptoms and medication side effects.
The following is a list of symptoms and specific strains that many patients have found success:
- Increase appetite – Jetty Vape GDP
- Chronic Pain – West Coast Cure Vape Blueberry Kush
- Nausea and Vomiting – Americanna Vape Northern Lights
- Depression – Baggie Buds Flower Super Silver Haze
- Fatigue – Gelato Vape Strawberry Cough
Topical Cannabis Products:
Topical cannabis products include lotions, balms, or patches infused with cannabinoids like CBD and THC. They are applied directly to the skin.
Benefits: Topical cannabis products can provide localized pain relief, reduce inflammation, and improve skin health, offering comfort to those experiencing discomfort or skin-related issues due to cancer treatment.
How to Use: Apply the product to the affected area, and it’s absorbed through the skin. Dosage and frequency depend on the product and individual needs.
A quality topical blend that offers a 1:1 THC/CBD ratio is Care By Design Topical Joint and Muscle Cream.
Health Tips for Women Facing Breast Cancer
- Regular Health Check-ups: Schedule routine check-ups, screenings, and mammograms as per guidelines provided by your healthcare provider to detect any potential issues early.
- Healthy Lifestyle Choices: Maintain a balanced diet, engage in regular exercise, manage stress, and avoid smoking and excessive alcohol consumption to support overall health.
- Strong Support System: Seek emotional and practical support from loved ones, support groups, or professional counselors to navigate the emotional challenges associated with a breast cancer diagnosis.
- Comprehensive Treatment Plan: Work closely with your healthcare team to develop a personalized treatment plan that may include surgery, chemotherapy, radiation, or hormone therapy based on your specific situation.
- Educate Yourself: Stay informed about your diagnosis, treatment options, and potential side effects to actively participate in decision-making and advocate for your health.
It’s important for women considering cannabis products to consult their healthcare provider before use, especially if they are undergoing conventional cancer treatment. Each person’s response to cannabis may vary, and a medical professional can provide guidance on appropriate dosages and potential interactions with other medications.
Always prioritize open communication with your healthcare team to ensure a comprehensive and safe approach to managing breast cancer and its associated symptoms
Together, by promoting awareness and supporting each other, we can make strides in breast cancer prevention, treatment, and ultimately, a cure.